Mosquitoes kill more humans every year than any other animal on the planet, an estimated 725,000 people. While malaria is the big killer worldwide, in the United States, we are starting to see a major rise in other mosquito-borne diseases like West Nile, Zika, and chikungunya. Texas has been one of the hardest hit areas in terms of these diseases. The warm weather, mosquito friendly habitats, and major travel hubs, means that Texas will continue to be at the forefront of these epidemics. Prevention must start with each resident doing their part to decrease the mosquito population.
Backyard Mosquito Control
Mosquitoes require water to breed and lay their eggs. They prefer areas of stagnant water where the eggs will not be disrupted. The amount of water necessary can be very small, as little as the lid of a soda bottle. This makes it essential that prevention efforts start with eliminating stagnant water around your property. Here are some things you can do to cut down on the mosquito population in your yard.
- Empty or turn over all items that may collect water like flower pots, children’s toys, tires, wading pools, debris, etc.
- Fill in low-lying areas in your landscaping that might accumulate water
- Clean out your gutters to prevent a backup
- Add chlorine to backyard pools
- Change birdbath water weekly
- If you have a pond, add fish that will eat the mosquitoes and use a bubbler or aeration system to keep the water circulating.
- Eliminate tall grasses or thick vegetation that provides shelter for mosquitoes
Personal Protection From Mosquitoes
Sometimes mosquito populations are out of your control, so you should always take certain precautions to prevent bites. Some of these things include:
- Wear light colored, loose fitting clothing
- Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants
- Use DEET or picaridin based insect repellents
- Make sure that all window and door screens are in good condition with no holes
- Ensure that weather stripping is intact around doors
- Limit time outside at dusk and dawn
Even if you do all these things, there is still potential for mosquitoes. Most cities and counties spray to help control the mosquito population, but you can protect your home and family by getting professional mosquito control for your yard. EcoArmor Pest Defense offers a comprehensive mosquito management program that will help eliminate the mosquitoes around your home. If you are in need of mosquito control in Anna, Texas or surrounding areas, give EcoArmor Pest Defense a chance to earn your business and your trust. Contact us today for more info.