We all know that household pests enter homes to find food, but many often forget that water is also a big factor. Excess moisture is a huge reason that pests may choose to live in or around your home. Creatures like ants, roaches, mosquitoes, silverfish, and centipedes all thrive in moist, humid areas. Moisture issues can occur both outside and inside your home. Getting rid of the excess moisture can go a long way toward preventing household pests.
Excess Moisture Outside the Home
The following are some tips and tricks to eliminate moisture outside of your home:
- Keep your gutters and downspouts clear of leaves, branches, dirt, etc. so that water does not backup and stagnate.
- Check your landscaping. All water should flow away from your home and not create puddles in your yard. If you are noticing water around the foundation of your home or in low spots, you may need to change the slope of your yard, bring in fill dirt, or install a drain.
- Make sure that your sprinklers are facing away from the house. Water that runs down the side of the house may cause moisture to build up in the basement or crawlspace. This can lead to damaged and rotted wood, which is ideal for termites.
- Keep your shrubs, trees, and bushes neatly trimmed and not touching the house. Plants can trap moisture and harbor pests.
- Do not overly use mulch or straw around the foundation because they can trap moisture.
- Do not allow stagnant water to sit around your property because it will become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Dump out and remove anything that collects water like flower pots, trash cans, toys, wheelbarrows, tarps, etc.
Excess Moisture Inside the Home
After you have taken care of moisture problems around your home, move to the inside and take steps to control it there. Here are some things to do:
- Fix any leaky pipes or faucets. You may not even know about the leaks, so carefully check under sinks, in bathrooms, and in the laundry room.
- Inspect the caulking around the bathtub, shower, and toilet. If the caulking is starting to break down, water may be able to enter wall voids or under the flooring.
- Make sure that an exhaust fan is installed in the bathroom, and use it when needed.
- Keep the overall humidity levels in your home down. In certain environments, this may require the use of a dehumidifier to help remove moisture from the air.
Anna, Texas Pest Control
Following these tips to remove the excess moisture in and around your home will help prevent pests, but it may not always be enough. Sometimes more help is required. If you find yourself with household pests, you can trust the experts at EcoArmor Pest Defense. Our Four Season Pest Protection Program will keep your home and family safe and pest-free throughout the year. We offer eco-friendly options, the most up-to-date technology, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. For pest control in Anna, TX, Frisco, Howe, Plano, McKinney, and everywhere in between, contact EcoArmor Pest Defense today.